I have been with GXS for just over four years now and when I joined GXS in April 2006 I was keen to learn more about EDI and how companies use it to exchange electronic business documents. Now you would think that as EDI solutions and services have been around for over forty years that it would not be too difficult to find a central source of information describing the different document types and messaging protocols used to exchange electronic business information. With limited EDI resources available on the internet and in order to try and accelerate my understanding of this important area of B2B and e-Commerce, I spent a couple of months pulling together a microsite which provided an introduction to EDI.
Over the past three and a half years EDI Basics has become a very popular resource to get an overview of what EDI is, how to implement it and how other companies have deployed EDI across their respective businesses.
So let me just give you a quick tour of the new site.
On the home page of EDI Basics you will find menu options to the following areas:-
- What is EDI – Provides a definition of what EDI is and how EDI is used to replace paper based processes
- Benefits of EDI – Describes some of the high level benefits of deploying and using EDI
- Costs of EDI - Compares the different cost structures for deploying EDI
- Things to Consider - Discusses some of the key areas that need to be addressed when implementing EDI
- Types of EDI – Offers a brief overview of the key ways of exchanging EDI related information, from describing what a VAN provider is through to delivering EDI content on a mobile device
- Implementing EDI – Provides a step by step guide to implementing EDI
- EDI by Industry - Looks at how EDI is used across different industry sectors
- Resources– Provides a number of EDI resources and downloads
- Contact GXS – Provides a means to contact GXS for further information
In addition to getting access to these key areas of the site, the home page allows visitors to review the latest EDI related blog posts which have been pulled in from our Corporate GXS blogsite. From the top menu you can get access to a sister site called AS2 Basics, everything that you need to know about AS2 in one convenient place. The FAQs and Glossary sections of EDI Basics have been updated with fresh content and finally, links are provided to the French and German versions of EDI Basics. The updated French, German and U.S versions of the site are expected to be online in the next few months.
The one area of the site that has received the most comprehensive update is the EDI Resources section.
- Document Standards– Provides a brief overview of the most commonly used EDI document standards, from ANSI to EDIFACT, ODETTE to RosettaNet, this area also includes complete lists of message types for each document standard
- Messaging Protocols – Describes the key messaging protocols used in EDI, including AS1 and AS2 through to OFTP2 and ebXML
- Sample RFP Document - Offers a template document for issuing an EDI related RFP
- EDI Case Studies – Provides a number of short case studies on how both small and large companies are deploying and using EDI today
- Reference/Tutorial Documents – Allows you to download a number of EDI related white papers, tutorials and general reference guides
- Multimedia Library– Offers a number of EDI related podcasts and webinars that can be accessed directly via the web page
- EDI Quiz– Test your knowledge of EDI with this very simple to answer set of twenty questions
The final area that I wanted to highlight are the local language sites highlighted at the top of the website. GXS has localised the EDI Basics website into German, French, Dutch, Hungarian and Chinese.
For further information about EDI Basics, please CLICK HERE >>>